Terminal Transformation Project
Aberdeen International Airport is currently investing in a comprehensive transformation of the passenger facilities. This three year project will deliver a 50% increase in the size of the terminal, including:
- Complete: New immigration, domestic, and international arrivals facilities.
- Landing 19 June 2018: Larger and enhanced security search area.
- Arriving summer 2018: Exciting new retail and catering layout in the departure lounge.
- Complete: New international and domestic baggage reclaim facilities.
- Complete: Two new first floor business lounges.
Phase one of the project commenced in mid-2016 and was completed by June 2017. This phase involved the construction of a two-storey extension to the south of the existing terminal, making space for new arrivals and immigrations facilities, and new business lounges on the upper level.
Phase two is due to land in June 2018, and will deliver a new security central search featuring fully automated security equipment, decompression area with sense of place lighting, enhanced and larger World Duty Free shopping experience. Additional retail offerings will include WHSmith, Rolling Luggage, and a new WHSmith bookstore. As part of Phase two, a new purpose-built toilet facility will also be delivered which includes an adult changing facility.
We are committed to minimising the impact of construction activity on our passengers. However, we would appreciate your patience and understanding whilst we transform the airport. Regular progress updates will be provided on our website and social media channels so please follow us on Twitter or Facebook for all the latest information during this exciting time.
- 2015: Demolition of vacant building to make way for new terminal extension.
- March 2016: Works commence to upgrade electrical infrastructure.
- 22 April 2016: International arrivals route modified as part of enabling construction works. This will be clearly signposted and staff will be on hand to assist.
- 23 May 2016: Temporary Domestic and International Baggage Reclaim Facilities to be launched.
- July 2016: Foundations and ground works are completed and erection of the steel structure commences.
- September 2016: Steel structure complete, pouring of floor slabs and installation of roof commences.
- December 2016: External wall cladding and windows in place and terminal extension officially water tight.
- 22 May 2017: International baggage reclaim construction complete and handed over to the airport.
- 30 May 2017: International baggage reclaim opens to passengers.
- July 2017: Domestic baggage reclaim opens to passengers.
- August 2017: Demolitions commence to clear space for the construction of new security search.
- October 2017: Strip-out of all existing services from the new search area.
- November 2017: Construction of new floor slab and erection of steel support completed.
- December 2017: New retail areas defined.
- January 2018: New flooring laid and retail areas handed over to teams to fit-out.
- February 2018: New security equipment ordered.
- June 2018: New and enlarged security search, and retail facilities opens to passengers.