The passenger facilities were completely transformed and the terminal space increased by 50% in the biggest project the airport had undertaken since the construction of the original building in 1977. 4 years of work was completed at the end of 2019 and included a new larger and enhanced security search area, new retail facilities, new international and domestic baggage reclaims, two new business lounges and new immigration, domestic and international arrivals facilities.
- 2015: Demolition of vacant building to make way for new terminal extension.
- March 2016: Works commence to upgrade electrical infrastructure.
- 22 April 2016: International arrivals route modified as part of enabling construction works. This will be clearly signposted and staff will be on hand to assist.
- 23 May 2016: Temporary Domestic and International Baggage Reclaim Facilities to be launched.
- July 2016: Foundations and ground works are completed and erection of the steel structure commences.
- September 2016: Steel structure complete, pouring of floor slabs and installation of roof commences.
- December 2016: External wall cladding and windows in place and terminal extension officially water tight.
- 22 May 2017: International baggage reclaim construction complete and handed over to the airport.
- 30 May 2017: International baggage reclaim opens to passengers.
- July 2017: Domestic baggage reclaim opens to passengers.
- August 2017: Demolitions commence to clear space for the construction of new security search.
- October 2017: Strip-out of all existing services from the new search area.
- November 2017: Construction of new floor slab and erection of steel support completed.
- December 2017: New retail areas defined.
- January 2018: New flooring laid and retail areas handed over to teams to fit-out.
- February 2018: New security equipment ordered.
- June 2018: New and enlarged security search, and retail facilities opens to passengers.
- April 2019: Reconfigured departure lounge and increased retail offering.
- Autumn 2019: An additional catering option and a refurbished Costa.